Pages

Willy M.Tuva, "I saw her naked"!!!

Monday 23 June 2014

I first came to Nairobi just after the
1998 bomb blast. I lighted at South
B where I spent the night having
travelled from Mombasa at night.
I visited the city centre the next day
but had to cut short my business
since I met people walking so fast
and thought there was a
demonstration.
With all the stories I had heard
about tear gas, being roughed up by
riot police or even robbed off in the
process, I was really scared.
I was not taking chances and so I
hopped into the next matatu and
headed back to home.
I was looking forward for the 7pm
news to hear what the
demonstrations were all about.
But alas! I later learnt everyone in
Nairobi is always in a hurry.
In my first few days as a Nairobian, I
also learnt that it was almost a
‘crime’ to say ‘hi’ to random people
in the streets. People would stare at
me as if I was going to steal from
them. My polite gesture was only
earning me uneasy stares.
The Nairobi thieves who had the
guts to steal in broad daylight also
shocked me. I could not understand
how one could steal a vehicle’s side
mirror in broad daylight.
Women in Nairobi were also a sight
to behold. How one could walk half
naked while no one seemed to care.
To make the matters worse, it was
freezing outside!
I also suffered language barrier and
culture shock. The most amazing bit
was how one could comfortably say:
“Hizi maji ni zangu” (This water
belongs to me). To-date I am yet to
pronounce ‘bad’ Swahili or even
speak in sheng.

image

image

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Shinekenya © 2014 Designed by Madebe ,