Pages

Ex-Mungiki Leader Maina Njenga: Why They Want Me Dead

Saturday 31 May 2014

Former Mungiki leader Maina
Njenga says a number of top
government officials want to kill
him over a matter arising from
one of the Kenyan cases at the
International Criminal Court.
Speaking from his hospital bed at
Avenue Hospital, Nairobi,
yesterday, Njenga said these
officials want him dead because
he refused to record a statement
and become a witness in one ICC
case.
In a statement to police seen by
the Star, Njenga identified Nairobi
politician Ferdinand Waititu as
the go-between for the unnamed
officials, saying the latter had
approached him with a view to
persuading him to become a
witness.
Njenga is recuperating from an
attack by unidentified gunmen at
Kari Farm, Nyahururu, last
weekend.
“It is not about land, and, for
your information, Mungiki no
longer exists; some people are
pursuing me to eliminate me
through calculated moves after I
refused to record the ICC
statements”, said Njenga.
According to Njenga, people are
being murdered in other areas
and buried in Kitengela so as to
stir tensions in a strategy that is
part of a plot to finish him.
Njenga said that before he
was shot at last Saturday, his
guards had spotted a number of
men who took photos of his house
and the vehicle he was using
hours before the incident.
“One of my aides, who died in the
incident, saw these men and met
them in the Olkalao area – and
when he asked them who they
were, they referred to themselves
as police officers in a crew”, said
Njenga.
Njenga said he is aware the police
have hired what he described as a
specialized crew whosemission is
to assassinate selected persons
that the government feels are a
nuisance.
“We decided to quit Mungiki and
reform, we believe in the living
God and we are not turning back,
that is why He has been on my
side, and, for sure, the truth shall
prevail for the world to know”, he
said.
He reiterated that allegations he
was fighting with his brother for
control of landholdings in
Kitengela were false and in bad
faith, aiming to create division
among family members.
In a police statement seen by the
Star, Njenga claimed that
three vehicles had followed his
convoy of two cars for some time
before the shooting ambush.
The copy of the statement read in
part: “I had recorded a statement
at Nairobi Area [police] that my
life was in danger and that I was
suspicious after Mr. Waititu
Ferdinand had approached me to
make a statement as a witness in
the ICC cases at The Hague.
“I had told him that during the
violence I was in prison and so I
could not make a statement. He
told me that if I did not make the
statement I would die
mysteriously”.
The fingers of Njenga’s left hand
were grazed by a bullet and are
still heavily bandaged, but all
indications are he will soon leave
Avenue and be referred to
outpatient services.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Shinekenya © 2014 Designed by Madebe ,